Summer is the perfect time to explore and enjoy all that Washington D.C. has to offer. In this video transcript, we will take a look at the top 10 super fun things to do in and around the city. From outdoor adventures to cultural experiences, there’s something for everyone. So let’s dive right in and discover the best summer activities in the D.C. area.
- Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Georgetown: Start your summer off with a thrilling stand-up paddleboarding adventure along the river in Georgetown. Rent a paddleboard or kayak and explore the water, passing by iconic landmarks like the Kennedy Center and the Lincoln Memorial. You can even try SUP yoga for a unique experience in the heart of the nation’s capital.
- Picnic on the National Mall: Pack a picnic and head to the National Mall, a historic and picturesque area near the Washington Monument. Find a cozy spot on the grass and enjoy breathtaking views of the city. Take a leisurely stroll to the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial to immerse yourself in the rich history and beauty of these iconic landmarks.
- Explore the D.C. Wharf: Experience a different side of D.C. at the vibrant D.C. Wharf. With over 80 restaurants, shops, and a charming boardwalk pier, it’s a perfect place to spend a summer day. Don’t miss the opportunity to dine at renowned restaurants like Mi Vida or try Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen. And if you loved paddleboarding in Georgetown, continue the fun at the Wharf with their kayaks and paddleboards.
- Attend a Concert at Merriweather Post or Jiffy Lube: Enjoy an evening of live music at either Merriweather Post or Jiffy Lube amphitheaters. Pack a picnic and immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere while listening to some of the best acts in the music industry. Whether you’re a fan of country, rock, or pop, these concert venues offer memorable experiences.
- Sunset Cocktails on a Rooftop: After a fun-filled summer day, unwind with a refreshing cocktail while enjoying a breathtaking sunset view from one of D.C.’s rooftop bars. New additions like Moonraker in the Pendry Hotel at the Wharf or Baja Tap in Adams Morgan provide the perfect settings for sipping drinks and soaking in the sunshine.
- Take a Canal Boat Tour: Embark on a unique adventure with a canal boat tour offered by Georgetown Heritage. Departing from the C&O Canal Historical Park visitor center, this one-hour tour takes you along the canal, offering insights into the area’s history and scenic beauty. It’s an affordable and fascinating experience for all ages.
- Indulge in Brunch in D.C.: Treat yourself to a delicious brunch at iconic establishments like Martin’s Tavern in Georgetown. With its rich history and presidential connections, Martin’s Tavern offers a unique dining experience. From mouthwatering food to exceptional cocktails, brunch in D.C. is a must-do, especially during the summer months.
- Visit the Smithsonian National Zoo: Spend a memorable day at the Smithsonian National Zoo, where you can see a variety of animals, including the adorable pandas. With free admission, it’s a great family-friendly activity. Take the metro to avoid parking hassles and be sure to participate in naming the latest baby gorilla or marvel at the baby Panamanian golden frog.
- Explore the Eastern Market: If you love outdoor markets, the Eastern Market in Capitol Hill is a must-visit. Celebrating its 150-year anniversary, this market offers fresh produce, handmade crafts, and a vibrant atmosphere. Immerse yourself in the local culture and support local artisans while enjoying the lively ambiance.
- Relax at a Local Winery: Escape the city and enjoy a beautiful vista at one of the local wineries near D.C. Windridge Winery in Darnestown, Maryland, is a favorite spot with its tasting room, excellent wines, and relaxing atmosphere. Grab a bottle, find a cozy spot in their Adirondack chairs, and savor the flavors while indulging in food truck delights.
Conclusion: Washington D.C. and its surrounding areas offer a plethora of exciting summer activities. From paddleboarding and picnicking to concerts, rooftop cocktails, and cultural explorations, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. So make the most of this summer by trying out these top 10 fun activities and create lasting memories in and around the nation’s capital.